Imperial War Museum Reference 57594
The Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church stood in Cumberland Street, Macclesfield, at the junction of Cumberland Street and Whalley Hayes. It was built in 1874, closed in 1966, and was demolished.
The approximate location of the building can be seen on this map.
The original war memorial comprised of a stained glass window depicting the glorified Saviour standing outside the portal of one of the gates of the New Jerusalem, together with a dedicatory plaque beneath the window. The memorial was unveiled on 19 September 1920, and on 24 September the Macclesfield Advertiser reported: The window, a real work of art, was supplied and erected by Mr W J Pearce of Wilmslow.
The window was destroyed when the church was demolished, but the plaque was saved by a private individual, and in December 2017 it was given to members of the Macclesfield and District WW1 Centenary Committee to display in Christ Church, Bridge Street, Macclesfield, with other local homeless war memorials. From 10 November 2018 this memorial will be in the care of the Silk Museum, Park Lane, Macclesfield, although it needs conservation work before it can be put on display.
The plaque, made of ceramic tiles with a wood frame, lists the names of twenty-six men from the church who lost their lives in the war.
They whom this Tablet commemorates were numbered amongst
those who, at the call of King and Country left all that was dear
to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the
sight of men by the path of duty and self sacrifice, giving up
their own lives that others might live in freedom.
Let those who come after us see to it
that their names be not forgotten.
Those named on the memorial who have been researched are listed below: