Sunderland Street Chapel

Imperial War Museum Reference 12979  (information currently out of date).

 

THE BUILDING

Sunderland Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1779 and closed in 1969. The building, which is close to Macclesfield railway station, is presently used as a sports club.

The location of the chapel can be seen on this map.

 

THE MEMORIALS

The Sunderland Street Chapel memorial is a wooden framed bronze embossed plaque naming five men who died in WW1.

When the building closed, the war memorial was moved to several locations over the years and is currently on display in Christ Church, Bridge Street, Macclesfield.

 

 

 

 

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE MEMORY OF

FRED BARDSLEY – HAROLD COUPS
FREDERICK STONIER
WILLIAM STONIER – THOMAS SYKES
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 – 1918
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS

 

 

 

 

Those from the chapel who have been researched are named below: