Imperial War Museum Reference 12976 (information currently out of date).
John Earles, in his book Streets and Houses of Old Macclesfield (pub. 1915), stated that St Peter’s Church was founded in 1848 and opened for worship the following year; prior to which the congregation met in a wooden building on the Common, behind the Beehive Inn, Black Road.
The church was originally built with a short tower, but this was later increased in height to accommodate the clock and a belfry.
The war memorial in St Peter’s Church consists of panels in a carved wooden surround. It was originally housed in the nearby St. Peter’s War Memorial Hall, but was moved into the church when the memorial hall was closed.
The War Memorial Hall was built as a memorial to those who served in the Great War “In honour of their brave deeds, and to provide a meeting place for the warriors when they return” (Macclesfield Times, 23 November 1917). The building was sold and converted into apartments in 2014.