St John’s Church was established in the 1880s and was originally located at the corner of Statham Street and Dale Street (now St. John’s Road), Macclesfield. The original plans show the church was to have a tall bell-tower; however, the photo dated around 1905 indicates that a more modest church was built. Perhaps, as with other local churches, the intention was to build the bell-tower at some time in the future, when more funds had been raised.
In the 1960s the church was demolished and a new church was built in Wilwick Lane, off Earlsway, Macclesfield. The War Memorial and Roll of Honour are now located in the new church.
The War Memorial in St. John’s Church is a marble panel engraved with the names of those who worshipped in the church and fell in the First World War, with an addition below naming those who died in the Second World War. There is also a framed Memorial Scroll (unfortunately now rather faded) listing the names of those who died in the First World War and lived within the parish (as it was when the church was located in Statham Street).