St George’s Church, High Street, in south Macclesfield was founded in 1822 as an Independent chapel, but became an Anglican chapel in 1828 and the district church for the township of Sutton in 1835.
The church closed in 1997 and the building was converted into offices in 2004.
The location of St George’s Church can be seen on this map.
St George’s Church formerly held two Rolls of Honour listing the names of 83 men who lost their lives in the Great War, which are now housed in St Barnabas Church, Lyme Avenue, Macclesfield. Most of the names on the first roll are listed alphabetically, with that of Lt Dennis Crew at the top of the list, suggesting that this roll was produced by his family after his death. The remaining names seem to have been added as news of another death was received.
St George’s Church also had a stained glass window dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant Dennis Meirville Crew, who was killed in action in 1917, which unfortunately was lost after the building closed. The window was erected by his father, Edwin Crew, Mayor of Macclesfield in 1915-1916, and was described as having striking coloured glass with green foliage and [a] female figure in dark blue. It was dedicated To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of Lieut. Dennis Meirville Crew and To the memory of the brave sons of the Empire who fell on the battlefield of Europe. They have fought the good fight, dying in the cause of humanity that honesty might live.