Imperial War Museum Reference 12994.
Macclesfield Sunday School was founded in Pickford Street in 1796 as a non-denominational Sunday School for 40 children. In 1812, the Sunday School committee erected a new building in Roe Street which became known as the ‘Big Sunday School’. This building provided basic tuition to over 2,000 children, at an initial cost of 1d per week, in the days before compulsory state education.
The Sunday School closed in September 1973 and the building, now used as a Heritage Centre, includes a reproduction Victorian school-room and information about the town’s numerous silk mills. It is also home to Cinemac, the town’s only cinema.
The location of the Sunday School can be seen on this map.
The wooden-framed plaque lists the names of twenty-three men from the Sunday School who died in the Great War. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 16 January 1921. (Macclesfield Times, 21 January 1921)