Imperial War Museum Reference 52387.
Macclesfield Industrial School, on the corner of Brook Street and Turnock Street, was founded in 1858 and closed in the 1920s. The building shown in the photograph below opened in 1866, and the location can be seen on this map.
The school originally took both boys and girls, but from the mid 1870s became a school for boys only. It took boys from all over the country, who were orphans or otherwise in need of a home, education and discipline. They were taught a trade, and many joined the army after leaving school.
More information about the school can be found on the Childrens Homes website.
ROLL OF HONOUR
A roll of honour listing old boys then serving with the Army or Navy was printed in the Macclesfield Times on 28th May 1915.
The school building still stands, but the war memorial is now housed in St Peter’s Church in Windmill Street.