Imperial War Museum Reference 12981 (information currently out of date).
The former Church Street West Free Methodist Chapel stands on the corner of Church Street West and Chatham Street. It was built in 1842, and closed in 1960.
Records of baptisms 1872-1960, marriages 1909-1959, minutes, financial and other administrative records are held by Cheshire Archives.
The location of this building can be seen on this map.
Since the church closed, this memorial, along with those from the Sunderland Street and Beech Lane churches, has had a number of homes including, most recently, Tytherington School, the British Legion offices in Chestergate, and Christ Church, Bridge Street, Macclesfield.
From 10 November 2018, the memorial will be on display at the Silk Museum, Park Lane, Macclesfield.
The brass plaque with elaborately carved wooden frame lists the names of seven men from the church who lost their lives in the war.
To the Glory of God
and in loving memory of
L/C TOM PEDLEY, 1/7 CHES REG, DIED 24TH NOVR. 1915, LEMNOS
L/C T. FRED ROSE, 3/5 S. LANC REG, DIED 15T NOVR. 1916, FRANCE
GNR HAROLD BELLFIELD, M G CORPS, DIED 11TH APRIL 1917, AMARA
CORP TOM WELLINGS, 1/7 CHES REG, DIED 13TH NOVR. 1917, BELGIUM
PTE JAMES BARBER, S W BORD, DIED 14TH APRIL 1918, FRANCE
PTE WILFRED BRERETON, 2/7 CHES REG, DIED 24TH JULY 1918, FRANCE
SIG ALBERT BARNETT, S W BORD, DIED 18TH SEPT 1918, SALONIKA
WHO AS MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH AND SCHOOL, LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF HUMANITY, AND FOR THE DEFENCE OF LIBERTY
1914 – 1919
“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”