Macclesfield Grammar School was established in the Savage Chapel of Macclesfield Parish Church in 1502. In 1748 the school purchased new premises, the former home of Sir Peter Davenport in King Edward Street.
In 1844 a second school, known as the “Modern School” was built on the corner of Bridge Street and Great King Street in Macclesfield. Unlike the classical education of the original school, commercial and technical subjects were taught here. In 1856 the Grammar School moved to its present site on Cumberland Street (illustrated right), and, shortly before the Great War began, the Modern School also moved to the Cumberland Street site, together forming a single combined school in new buildings completed in 1912. The school was later known as The King’s School.
More information about the school can be found on the King’s School website.
The present location of King’s School, still in Cumberland Street and now extending down Westminster Road, can be seen on this map.
A large wooden memorial plaque in the school hall lists the names of 70 old boys from the school who lost their lives in the Great War. A second plaque lists the names of a further 15 recently identified old boys who also died in the Great War.
A memorial cricket pavilion, visible from the Cumberland Street entrance, was built in the grounds of the school in the 1930s.