Hurdsfield Ebenezer Chapel

Imperial War Museum References 52370 and 52371 (information currently out of date).

 

THE BUILDING

The Hurdsfield Ebenezer United Methodist Chapel was built in 1865. It closed in the late 20th century and is now a private house.

The location of the Ebenezer Chapel can be seen on this map.

 

THE MEMORIALS

The Ebenezer Chapel housed two memorials: a white marble memorial plaque in memory of those who died, and a wooden plaque naming those who served.

When the building closed, the war memorials were removed to Higher Hurdsfield Sunday School, but since that building’s closure in 2015 the memorials have been housed in Christ Church, Bridge Street, Macclesfield.

The marble plaque lists the names of four men from the church who died in the war.

 

 

 

1914 – 1918

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF

THE MEN OF THIS CHAPEL
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR

PTE JAMES GOSLING
PTE HORACE ROBINSON
PTE HARRY ROSE
PTE WILLIAM DENNERLEY

THIS IS THE MEMORIAL OF THEIR HONOUR
AND OUR GRATITUDE
THESE NOBLY PLAYED THEIR PART
THEY GAVE THEIR ALL

 

 

The framed wooden board lists the names of the men from the chapel who served:

EBENEZER U. M. CHAPEL, HURDSFIELD
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE WHO SERVED IN THE
1914 – GREAT WAR – 1919

PTE M ARNOLD
PTE  J BROADHURST
PTE W BOSTOCK
SPR W BOSTOCK
PTE J M BOSTOCK
PTE W BOOTH
PTE J BENSON
PTE J A DALE
SPR E EVANS
PTE F FORWARD
GNR W GASKELL
PTE E GORTON
CPL W HALL
PTE F B HALL
GNR J HILL
PTE E HOOLEY
PTE J H HOOLEY
PTE S G LOWE
PTE S F MASON
2ND LIEUT S OLDFIELD
PTE A ROBINSON
SGT D ROSE
SPR F SHELLEY
PTE A SIGLEY
SGT T H SCOTT
RLFM P SCOTT
CPL H TURNER
SGT A WILSHAW
PTE J W YESSON

 

Those from the chapel who have been researched are named below: