Christ Church is also at present the home of several other war memorials from Macclesfield churches which have closed. Click here for information about this display.
Christ Church was built in 1775 by local businessman Charles Roe. It became a parish church for a part of Macclesfield in 1888 and closed in 1983. Since then it has been cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust and is normally open to the public every week (currently in Spring 2017 open only occasionally).
The church, which is a Grade II* listed building, has box pews and a stained glass window by Morris & Co. There is a ring of ten bells, still in regular use, and occasional recitals are given on the 130 year old three-manual organ.
Information about the church and detailed indexes to the registers can be found on the Christ Church, Macclesfield Data CD produced by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Macclesfield Group), sold at their monthly meetings or by post via their website www.fhsc.org.uk.
The location of this building can be seen on this map.
The earliest – and one of the first permanent memorials in Macclesfield – was the marble tablet dedicated to 2nd Lt. George Barber who died in October 1916. It was erected in November 1917 by his widow.
A more modest plaque on the same South wall is dedicated to Arthur Mottram while an even more modest (and easily missed) memorial is a shelf, dedicated to the memory of Jack Start. This is placed immediately below the main WW1 memorial plaque on the North wall of the church which is dedicated to the memory of ‘the gallant men connected with this church’, on which Barber’s, Mottram’s and Start’s names are naturally included, along with 21 others.