Imperial War Museum Reference 12992
Christ Church School stood on the corner of Great King Street and Pinfold Street, and was formally opened on 3rd May 1841. Bagshaw’s Directory records one hundred boys and girls and fifty infants in attendance in the early days, each group being taught separately.
The school was enlarged in 1859, and by 1865 numbers had risen to 410 pupils plus 13 teachers – the highest number in all the Macclesfield schools. As a result of a new education act, the school became a modern Church of England assisted day school in 1870.
One hundred years later in 1970 the school closed and the buildings were then used by Christ Church as a community centre; but after the closure of the church itself in 1983 the buildings were sold, demolished in 1987, and replaced by Simpson’s Court, a sheltered housing complex for the elderly – named after the first vicar at Christ Church, the Rev. David Simpson, who in 1778 started a Sunday School, teaching reading and writing as well as religious instruction.
The former location of Christ Church School can be seen on this map.
More information about Christ Church School can be found on the Christ Church, Macclesfield Data CD produced by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Macclesfield Group), sold at their monthly meetings or by post via their website www.fhsc.org.uk.
The very large wooden memorial plaque lists the names of 401 old boys from the school who served in the Great War as well as 87 who lost their lives. The names of those who served are listed alphabetically, beginning in the centre below the names of those who died, and continuing on the left and right hand panels, with a few names listed out of sequence at the bottom of the right hand column.
The memorial is now located in the King’s School, Macclesfield.
Click on the photo to view a larger version.