Imperial War Museum Reference 57552.
This memorial plaque is believed to be originally from Bourne Primitive Methodist Chapel, Byron’s Street, south Macclesfield and is now housed in St Peter’s Church in Windmill Street.
Bourne Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in Byron Street in 1844, rebuilt in 1905, closed in 1960, and subsequently sold. The photograph on the left shows the chapel after it was sold, in use as the Mava Studio. The building was later demolished.
The approximate former location of this building can be seen on this map.
When the chapel closed, the memorial plaque was taken to St Peter’s Working Men’s Institute, and later, on the closure of the Institute, was moved to St Peter’s Church.
The brass plaque with black and gold lettering names just four men who lost heir lives in the Great War.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF THE UNDERMENTIONED
MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH & CONGREGATION
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM
DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918
ARTHUR BAILEY JOHN CLEAVER
FRANK RATCLIFFE HAROLD HAZELDINE
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”